Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Liz Murray Story...Inspirational & Motivational!


This evening's blog is taken word from word from a fellow blogger ENTERTAINMENT ONLINE BLOG. I had just watched the movie Homeless to Harvardand I felt it was exactly what I had hoped to share and even had a photograph of Liz.
Liz Murray (born September 23, 1980 in The Bronx, New York) is an American whose success story has spread around the world. She is known for being the homeless girl wandering the slums of New York, who eventually turns her life around once she realizes she is not doomed to experience life on the streets. Determined and confident, she strives for and succeeds at becoming a student at Harvard University. Her story was told in an Emmy-nominated Lifetime TV movie Homeless to Harvard: The Liz Murray Story.

Murray, whose life was chronicled in the Lifetime television movie Homeless to Harvard, was the keynote speaker at Bryan's back-to-school convocation at Central Baptist Church.

"The greatest challenge really came not in my circumstances, but in believing in what I did," Murray told more than 6,000 Bryan school employees Friday. "No matter what the circumstances were, I had a choice."

By age 15, Murray's mother had died of AIDS and Liz was homeless - living on the streets, riding on the subway all night, and eating from the dumpsters. While a majority of us would have given up on life, amidst the pain, Murray always imagined the her life could be much better than it was.

"I started to grasp the value of the lessons learned while living on the streets. I knew, after overcoming those daily obstacles, that next to nothing could hold me down."

Determined to take charge of her life, Murray pulled herself together, enrolled in a charter school in New York and completed all four years of high school in just two years. This was all done while Murray was still homeless. At the encouragement of a mentor, she went on to earn a scholarship from the New York Times and entered Harvard University in 2000. Although she began her college career at Harvard, she eventually transferred to Columbia University to be closer to her father who is dying from AIDS.

Murray narrated how she and her older sister had lived in a trash-strewn, filthy apartment in the Bronx. Their parents were drug addicts, and when the welfare check came at the first of each month, the family of four would go to the "drug spot" and her parents would buy cocaine and heroin, Murray said.

To know more on the extraordinary story of Liz Murray and her movie " Homeless to Harvard , inlcuding Movie quotes . Click here
To read Liz Murray' inspiring message of truth in her own words,click here

6 comments:

CHINICK said...

Great article. I read it after post one of my own also after watched the movie yesterday in tv. Hope to find a new original dvd of this movie for my collection. My post is in spanish.

Unknown said...

Everyone has a story almost like this. Ok, not. Everyone. Some do and don't strive to make their lives better. Where did your drive come from? I'm a male and females run my life. My mom was mommy dearest. My dad died when I was 10.ihad 4 brothers to raise on my own. My mom lived in the bar. Now 53 don't know why I'm where I'm at.my wife says god put us together. She lives on pain pills. I had surgery and she stole my pain pills without a thought of my surgery. She would lye and fight with me the same day I got out of the hospital about the pain pills I didn't have.This is the best sucess sory ever.. I love your drive!

Anonymous said...

Thomas, the best thing that you can do for your wife is turn her in or check her in. She is not going to get better on her own.
Good luck..

kpdiva said...

Wow...just finished watching your story, & what a story it was.I just want you to know that I am SO PROUD of you!! U r an inspiring woman.& although I am a few yrs. older than you,you give me something to look forward to.I've heard before that people that have had hard lives,are usually the ones that grow up to make something out of theirselves...& you & your story just confirmed that.Thank you for sharing your story with the world.I think everyone should see it!!!

Anonymous said...

Your story is inspirational, my situation was nowhere near as tough as yours, but your drive reminds me of myself. My mom was an alchoholic she was with abusive men,(one being my father) and couldnt handle the 3 daughters she had by age 19, I was abused physically,verbally and emotionally by both parents. we lost our apartment and to take care of my self while I was in college I became a prostitute, but now I have found myself, 5 years later im a mother to a beautiful boy and in nursing school, thanks for sharing your story and I will see you at the top!!

Anonymous said...

This movie has hit home my cousin died from aids 1996 she was only 30years old no kids pretty as sugar she could have been something in life and i also grew up with four cousins one uncle one sister one brother who also used drugs but being arould all that made me stronger then ever not to used drugs it can and will run your life it did not touch me liz murray was and she is a hero you got to give her glory god was with her
All the way may he keep her in perfect peace i have go buy her book maybe i will write a book my family i have a good strorie to tell peace be still

Benjamin Banneker (1731-1806)

Benjamin Banneker (1731-1806) Raised on a farm in Maryland, Benjamin Banneker wanted to learn everything he could about the world around hi...