Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Children ... Praise for all ... Winners & Losers?

Las week as I was listening to the Today Show I was hearing the debate that in today's society we give all children who participate in things (pageants, sports, academic competitions, etc.) "trophies" because we do not want any of them to loose. They mentioned that this wasn't a good idea because the effects it has on them as adults. Meaning, when these children become adults and are competitive there will be only one winner... someone has to loose.

I have to admit I did not catch the featured segment, only snipits leading up to them. However, I discussed what I had heard with my friend, Denise, and we came to the following conclusion...
Children that win (meaning they come in first, second, or third should be recognized as such). And those children, or adults for that matter, that participate in competitive situations should be recognized for their efforts (because it took courage/work/etc. to participate).

We should find something to celebrate in all competitive situations. I also believe that, if possible, those that are not "the best" should be provided constructive critisim so that they can improve if they so desire.

No comments:

Benjamin Banneker (1731-1806)

Benjamin Banneker (1731-1806) Raised on a farm in Maryland, Benjamin Banneker wanted to learn everything he could about the world around hi...