Tuesday, October 17, 2006

New Deluxe Scrabble… the Consumer Complaint

Since childhood my mama and aunts have played Scrabble with me and my sister. Growing up this has always been one of my favorite board games. I even purchased the Spanish version as an adult to work on my Spanish. Since I have been playing so long there has been no need to purchase a new board, except as gifts for others. However, in March I experienced an apartment fire where I lost my Spanish version and the turntable version I had lost pieces therefore…

Last week I decided to splurge a little and go and get a new DELUXE SCRABBLE…. The new board is HORRIBLE and CHEAPLY made. DO NOT PURCHASE IT!!! If one is going to pay ~30.00 for a board game it should be of good quality! I was so disgusted by this that I called Hasbro…YES I DID…When I spoke to the customer service representative she informed me that the board was officially changed in 2003 and was changed because people complained of the glare. I kindly left my remarks and she told me to see if I can find boxes that were copyrighted 2003 or before if I would like to get the older {more stable, better quality} board. So below is my internet letter to Hasbro and potential purchasers of Deluxe Scrabble…

Dear Hasbro,
Your “new” board is of poor quality. You can create a product that does not have a glossy/transparent overlay without decreasing the quality of your timeless game of Scrabble. In the current version the overlay does not hold the pieces firmly in place as your turn the “turntable” or place words perpendicular to previously placed words. If customers desired this result they could purchase the cheaper board. I believe a comparable alternative should be developed in order to address this problem. This dilemma must be dealt with if you expect to continue to sell the game of Scrabble to future generations.

Cordially,
Liza Corrine

No comments:

Benjamin Banneker (1731-1806)

Benjamin Banneker (1731-1806) Raised on a farm in Maryland, Benjamin Banneker wanted to learn everything he could about the world around hi...