Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Become Like Little Children

Matthew 18: 3 "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."(NIV)

I vented through an e-discussion earlier this week with friends about how often it seems that now that I am an adult, I often face those in the "adult world" that
  • are back stabbers
  • are gossipers
  • don't like to talk to you about a situation but talk ABOUT you to others
  • don't work together when you are trying to accomplish the same goal
  • don't behave nicely or follow the "Golden Rule"
  • simply put....are what we often refer to as "childish"....

and how all these things and behaviors frustrated me. I must admit I found her response enlightening and very true.

Part 1 of her response: The Relation to My Situation

"You have people that you work with on a daily basis, people who you know could accomplish things well as a team, however, they get so worked up in how things will affect them, or start focusing on causing you problems just so they look better. It is sooooo irritating!! "

Part 2 : The Reality of it All

"It is strange how as a kid and teenager and even college student, you are always taught how to behave and how to respect others. Told to play nice and do things as a team. To help others, and just grow up. But, when you are a grown up, everyone else- including other adults, are still acting like kids trying to step on other peoples sandcastles or take other peoples toys!!"

In her response I think that Matthew 18:3 took on another meaning for me now... something that people should really think about... possibly a new spin on the meaning of that verse.

Thanks for reading... give your feedback if you would like. Many Blessings to all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Today, I am trying to act like a well-behaved child. I am crawling back into that sandbox with the person that stole by shovel and then stomped on my sandcastle. Today, I will try to build a new sandcastle!

I wonder, as we "grow up", is the lessons we learned on "playing nice" one of the first lessons that we forget...

As professionals and as adults in general, we have to work with other adults who act like spoiled brats. The hard part for me is not to let the bitterness of others overtake me. As Christians, or even as responsible adults, how should we handle those that constantly try to put us down and undermind us? Do you take it? Or do you stand up? If you just sit back and take it, then you are enabling the behavior and it will continue. However, if you acknowledge it, are you giving them what they want and letting them know that they have gotten to you? And what do you do after you have tried both of those options?

I have prayed for the knowledge, patience and ability to handle this person. However, maybe I am still being selfish. My new prayer, is for the person in question. I pray for peace and happiness within her. I pray for her to overcome her bitterness, become more confident, and stop feeling sorry for herself. And then I pray, that if that isn't God's will for her, I pray for the knowledge, patience, peace and love to overcome the challenges of working with her. I pray for that for all that work with her.

Benjamin Banneker (1731-1806)

Benjamin Banneker (1731-1806) Raised on a farm in Maryland, Benjamin Banneker wanted to learn everything he could about the world around hi...