Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Keep an Open Mind...Politics

Senator John Edwards visited the campus of Clemson University today, and an office mate sent out an email to many in the office inviting them to come here him speak. I do not profess support of any candidate but I do have an open mind, therefore I thought it would be a good idea to go and see what he had to say. However, I was slightly disturbed when I heard someone’s response to my coworker when he orally invited her. Her response was simply, I’m Republican. That raised all kinds of red flags to me. Immediately the following questions popped in my mind...

•So if one am a professed Republican, Democrat, or Independent… Does that mean that one listens only to politicians or causes supported by that party?
•How many registered voters out there have this mentality?
Senator McCain also spoke at Clemson, however I did not get the opportunity to hear him speak because I had appointments that morning, however I would have went to hear him had I had the time and opportunity.

To those out there that may have had the same thought process of the young lady who responded, I’m Republican, I pose these thoughts and questions
•If by chance this person or someone with similar ideas wins the election wouldn’t you want to know what they believe and are talking about
•What if by chance you agree with something you hear, wouldn’t you want to see where the candidate or party you support stands on this subject
•Do you fear that exposure to new or different ideas or beliefs than you are typically exposed to may harm your thinking?

Food for thought, not bashing or criticizing anyone. I just want all registered voters to have an open mind.

No comments:

Benjamin Banneker (1731-1806)

Benjamin Banneker (1731-1806) Raised on a farm in Maryland, Benjamin Banneker wanted to learn everything he could about the world around hi...